Marketing Online Edge – 7 Tips to Ensure Your Business Website is Reader Friendly
By 5hmg In Mobile Marketing, Online Marketing On May 19, 2011
Your business website is your online store front and its image and functionality determines whether users stay on it or click away. Here are some tips to make sure your website is friendly and attractive to users.
1. Adopt a minimalist approach – It’s tempting to “fill out” your web pages with unnecessary content just make it look weighty but that only gives your readers viewing fatigue. Keep it simple so that users can quickly scan your content and find exactly what they want.
2. Text Layout – Make sure your text is divided into short sections complete with titles and subtitles. Also give information in point form or bullet form, and space it out into brief paragraphs so it’s easier for your users to read
3. Links that open in new windowsIf your website has multimedia content like videos, audio files or PDF documents, make sure that their links open in new windows so that as the large files are downloading your user can multitask and remain on your webpage. That saves him time.
4. Be consistent – If your website has multiple pages, maintain a consistent design theme. Make sure navigation tools, colors, layout, text font and other features are the same on each and every page. You don’t want your user to feel that they have clicked the wrong link and wonder whether they are still on your website or not.
5. Look professional – If you want to be taken seriously, it helps to have a professional looking website instead of one that looks outdated or created with childish- looking freebie templates. It pays to have a website designer help you get your look together instead of trying to do it yourself.
6. Graphics and Media – There’s nothing more annoying to a website user than drumming his fingers impatiently as he waits for your website to load heavy graphics and multimedia. The world is getting busier and people’s attention span is getting severely shorter, so keep those graphics simple, your videos about a minute in length and resize your images for fast loading. Your website should not take more than 15 seconds to load.
7. Spelling and Grammar – It’s often the basic things we get wrong. The spelling and grammar of your content should be perfect. Wrong spellings and confusing content shows you don’t pay attention to details and turns off users. They will probably wonder why they would want to buy anything from you, if you can’t even get your spelling right.
Leave a comment